It’s no secret that fertility begins to decline as we age, and once women reach their 40s it becomes increasingly difficult to conceive naturally. However, despite this fact we’re seeing more and more couples choosing to start their families later in life. As with everything in life, there are pros and cons of getting pregnant in your 40s…
The pros of pregnancy in your 40s
- Your careers are firmly established and you are more financially secure.
- You’ve likely been with your partner a while and know each other very well which is a good foundation on which to raise a family.
- Your life experience means you’re likely to have a confident approach to parenting.
- Older mothers tend to breastfeed, which is a wonderful bonding opportunity for you and your baby, as well as giving them the healthiest start in life.
- Both natural and assisted conception in your 40s increases your chances of having twins.
The cons of pregnancy in your 40s
- Conceiving in your 40s means you are likely to need extra care during your pregnancy; if you develop health problems you’ll be classed as high risk but this just means you’ll get the care you need to ensure the health of you and your baby.
- Around one in every 200 babies born to women over 40 have Down’s Syndrome, compared to one in 700 for women aged 35 to 39, and one in 1500 for women aged 20 to 24.
- The increased odds of chromosomal problems mean that miscarriage is more likely for women in their 40s, with half of all pregnant women aged 42 experiencing miscarriage.
- Women in their 40s are twice as likely as younger women to experience conditions like gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia, high blood pressure, placental abruption, baby being born early or with a low birth weight.
There are pros and cons with everything in life so try not to let the negative implications of getting pregnant in later life put you off your dream of becoming parents. If you are concerned about your health and the health of any potential foetus then it’s always advisable to speak to your doctor before attempting to conceive.
If you are having trouble conceiving then speak to us here at TCM HealthCare about fertility testing. We can help you to find out the cause of your fertility problems and provide a path to parenthood.