Taking a more in depth look at your sperm…. Take an oxidative stress test.
How much is the fee?
The fee is £155.
What is oxidative stress?
Oxidative stress refers to the build-up of high levels of free oxygen radicals as a result of an imbalance between free oxygen radicals and antioxidant activity. A certain level of free oxygen radicals is essential for normal sperm functioning. Once ROS performs their function, antioxidant activity is required to get rid of ROS and this process needs to be continuous in order to maintain the required balance. Oxidative stress occurs when this balance is upset.
What would oxidative stress do to sperm?
Put simply, oxidative stress leads to sperm damage and consequently affects fertility. In particular, research has shown the following:
- Between 25% and 80% of infertile men have a reduced antioxidant capacity and consequently high levels of Oxidative stress, irrespective of pre-existing semen parameters
- Oxidative stress can impact on all major sperm parameters i.e. sperm count, motility, morphology and vitality
- High oxidative stress levels cause sperm DNA fragmentation
- High oxidative stress levels are correlated with an increase in the time needed to achieve natural pregnancy
- High oxidative stress levels impair fertilization and reduce pregnancy rates after IVF.
What causes oxidative stress?
Possible causes include:
- Undescended testes
- Chronic disease
- Drug abuse
- Cigarette smoking
- Alcohol abuse
- Poor diet
- Excessive exercise
- Heat exposure
- Exposure to harmful substances
What are the ways of dealing with oxidative stress in semen?
If infections are present, treatment of infection can also reduce ROS levels.
Increased levels of ROS may be reduced with a diet rich in anti-oxidants
Research has found that some Chinese herbal medication contains high level of anti-oxidants. At TCM HealthCare, we have a excellent track record in helping men with sperm issues.
How is the oxidative test carried out?
A semen sample obtained within an ejaculation abstinence period of 2 – 3 days is required. Since the sample will need to be worked on within 20 minutes, it therefore has to be produced in a private room in a laboratory.
When will I get my result?
Result can be available 1 day after the sample is collected.
Professor Shun Au OBE
TCM Healthcare Fertility Clinic